Good soil is inherited.

I have no idea if this has been said before or if I should be attributing it to someone.  I came up with it myself while thinking about the cost of good soil.  I have been struck by the cost of getting soil into good condition. 

The cost of erosion and neglect over the last 50 years makes me think of  a fictional scenario in which a good hearted person would have said, "But we can't just let all of this good soil wash away through these modern soil management techniques you are proposing!"  Some official or salesperson would then respond "Well, that is what we are proposing and we will have to let some future generation figure out how to fix that problem when that time comes".

Good soil is something we think of our grandparents having.  It was built up over many years and it would have been a great gift to receive such a productive and nutritious garden.  I have regularly heard the comment from the nutritional group "Weston A. Price Foundation" that the best food is something you can only grow yourself.  When farmers of great food are asked "Where can I buy your produce?", a common answer is "Japan" because the best food is sold at such a high price that only the best markets can pay for it.

Much of our work goes into helping each property owner be able to develop a roadmap for how to turn their soil into a productive asset.  This is not a simple step nor a task without planning, but we hope to be able to make each step of the way a bit simpler.

Comments