Carbon Sequestration in the soil via Glomalin

Please look further down for our posting on Glomalin.  I just received this note on it's potential impact:

Great one-page article attached "the most important thing most people have never heard about".  Calculations based on the rate at which Glomalin is formed in the soil: if just 10,000 medium sized farms converted to organic production and mycorrhizal inoculation, they would store so much carbon in the soil it would be equivalent to taking 1,174,000 cars off the road or reducing car miles driven by 14.62 billion miles.

For me, I like to think about gallons of gasoline.  At 30 mpg, that would be  487,333,333 gallons of fuel with carbon free emissions.

Sometimes, I wish we could pay farmer's to sequester carbon in their soils.  Oh, yeah.  We tried carbon credits already.

The USDA EIA estimates that we burn 20 lbs of carbon for every gallon of gasoline.  At $20/ton, that equates to roughly $8,860 per farm.  I wish I knew how many acres they were thinking about on the average farm.

Comments